From 6-9th of June His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, hosted the 6th Armenian Church Representative Assembly in the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin. For this occasion Members of the Supreme Spiritual Council, Archbishops and Bishops, heads of Armenian and Diocesan Dioceses and Patriarchal delegates, religious leaders and representatives of the Diocesan Dioceses, Patriarchal Delegations and Diaspora Dioceses were gathered in Holy Etchmiadzin.
The UK Diocese was represented at the 6th Church Representative Assembly by His Grace Bishop Hovakim Manukyan, Primate for the Armenian Church of United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland; Mr Viken Haladjian, Chairman of St Yeghiche Armenian Church Parish and Mrs Ayda Lundon Sarafian, Chairlady of the Armenian Church Parish of Republic of Ireland.
The main points discussed are presented below.
1. The document outlining the bylaws of National Ecclesiastical Assembly (NEA) was adopted to be ratified by the NEA which is the highest authority of the Church.
2. New members of Supreme Spiritual Council were elected for a one-and-a-half year period.
3. The process of adoption of guidelines of diocesan bylaws was discussed.
4. A committee that will make suggestions and prepare the agenda of the NEA was created. Questions that have been already discussed include mixed marriages, bioethics and other issues that the Church faces in the modern age.
5. Youth projects have been presented by Archbishop Hovnan Derderian. The year 2018 was declared the Year of Youth which means more activities and support for our youth.
6. The UK delegation had a separate meeting with His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians. The clergy and Christian education were discussed.
7. There was a meeting Q&A with His Excellency the President of Armenia. The delegates were able to ask any question pertaining politics, economics, geopolitics, migration, elections, Artsakh conflicts, Syrian crisis.
8. There was a special session with presentation and discussion about the birthright in Armenia.
9. There was also a separate meeting of lay participants, a visit to the Youth Centre and an official dinner in the name of His Holiness.
You can read more details about this event as well as upcoming events and announcements in E-newsletter volume 3, issue 16 available here.